Pages

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Out of the Heart

Too often, I say something that I later regret.  Perhaps it’s something hastily snapped, or selfish, or even just tactlessly sarcastic.  Even if I don’t say it out loud, I may say or think something unkind under my breath.  

In those times, the Spirit gently reminds me that the words I say can cut deeper than any sword.  My tongue is a fire which I must guard, hold captive, and learn to use carefully.

But it goes deeper than that.  Our words are a reflection of who we are, of what is inside of us:

“For the mouth speaks out of that which fills the heart.” –Matthew 12:34


Just stop and let that sink in.  The mouth speaks out of that which fills the heart. So what we say is a reflection - and a literal outpouring - of what is in our hearts.  Perhaps the question we should be asking then is:  What is in our hearts?  If we know Jesus, the Holy Spirit dwells inside our hearts.  But does the way we speak show people that Jesus is in us?

We can use our words to honor and worship God, or to honor and worship ourselves.  We can use our words to heal, encourage, and build up, or to wound, tear down, and destroy those around us.

I love James 3, a chapter that's all about speech.  James 3:17 beautifully encompasses every aspect of how our speech should look as followers of Christ.  This verse about heavenly wisdom is a constant reminder to me to use my mouth to glorify God at all times.

"The wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, reasonable, full of mercy and good fruits, unwavering, without hypocrisy." (James 3:17)

I want to always speak in wisdom and love.  So what does that look like for me?
  • My words should be pure and honoring to God, unsoiled by contempt, profanity, gossip, or arrogance.
  • My words should be peaceable.  So far as it depends on me, I should be at peace with all men, using my words to preserve peace, not to stir up conflict or quarrel.  
  • I should be gentle to everyone, never harsh or inconsiderate.
  • My speech should be reasonable - rational and fair - never bad-tempered, capricious, or difficult.
  • In all my words, I should be full of mercy - compassionate, kind-hearted, generous, gracious, and forgiving. 
  • My words should also be full of good fruits: profitable to all who listen, inspiring, purposeful, spiritually rich, rewarding to hear.  And all of my actions should reflect my good words.
  • My word should be unwavering.  When I say something, I should say it with conviction.  People should be able to trust my word to be honest, steadfast, and resolute, not weak, dishonest, or indecisive.
  • My words should always be without hypocrisy.  I must see the log in my own eye before pointing out the speck in another's eye.  I must be open to constructive criticism and always be willing to grow.
Oh Lord, may my speech bear these things!

Let us not forget:  Every word we speak, everything we say, comes out of our hearts.  I pray that we will speak in such a way that this weary, dark world will watch us and notice something beautiful and different - Christ in our lives.
* * *
Lord Jesus, You know my heart.  You see every thought in my mind and you hear every word I speak.  Please help me to glorify You with my mouth.  Use my words to bring hope, healing, encouragement, and joy to this world.  Thank you for using me and loving me despite my weaknesses.  Speak through me.  I am Yours.  Amen.




1 comment: