Pages

Sunday, July 7, 2013

Resting in His Steadfast Faithfulness

He is so faithful - always faithful.

And I have so much to learn about resting and trusting in His faithfulness, not fearing the future, leaning on Jesus.

Corrie ten Boom once said, "Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God."

I’ve often struggled with fear, worry, and uncertainty about the future.  I like feeling secure and knowing exactly what’s coming next.  But when you’re a follower of Jesus Christ, nothing is predictable.  Life is an adventure full of miracles and crazy expeditions.  The only thing that never changes and never fails me is Jesus. 

“On Christ the solid rock I stand; all other ground is sinking sand.”

No man can serve two masters.  You can’t effectively serve both fear and God.

The most common command in Scripture is:  “Do not fear.”  DO NOT FEAR.  Jesus often told us not to fear, not to worry about tomorrow.  He repeated it often because it's so important.  Fear robs us of joy and strangles our trust in God.

God just asks us to follow Him one step at a time:
“Thy word is a lamp to my feet, and a light to my path.”—Psalm 119:105
It's not a headlight.  You can't see down the path and the light doesn't shine ahead for you to see what's coming up in your future.  But as a lamp to your feet and light to your path, the LORD will lead you one step at a time.
Why do I have such weak human faith in Someone who is perfectly faithful?  I do believe in Him with all of my heart, soul, mind, and strength, but when it comes to living daily life, I easily get caught up with distractions, challenges, and anxieties and I start relying on myself rather than Him.  I start fearing the future.
That's when I'm reminded of an old hymn I love:
“Great is Thy faithfulness!  Great is Thy Faithfulness!  Morning by morning new mercies I see.  All I have needed, Thy hand hath provided.  Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me.”

My world is so unpredictable, constantly changing and shifting.  But through it all, God is still…God.  Still the same.  Unchanging.  Always faithful. 

“All I have needed, Thy hand hath provided.”  And it’s true.  Sure, I often don’t feel like my needs are met.  But God truly has provided everything I need.  In fact, He's gone above and beyond and given me everything I need for life and godliness.  I am richly blessed in so many ways.  How often do I take it for granted?

Now I just want to let the Bible speak for itself.  I want to share a few of my favorite verses about God’s faithfulness:

“Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.  And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”—Philippians 4:6-7

“So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself.  Each day has enough trouble of its own.”—Matthew 6:34
“God is our refuge and strength, A very present help in trouble.”—Psalm 46:1

“I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.” – John 14:18

 "The LORD also will be a refuge for the oppressed, a refuge in times of trouble. And they that know your name will put their trust in you: for you, LORD, have not forsaken them that seek you.” – Psalms 9:9-10

 “And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.”—Romans 8:28

 “…cast all your anxiety on Him, because He cares for you.” –1 Peter 5:7

“Do not be afraid any longer, only believe.” –Jesus, (Mark 5:36)
“Surely there is a future, and your hope will not be cut off.” (Proverbs 23:18)

 “Do not fear, for I am with you; do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.  I will strengthen you, surely I will help you, surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.” - Isaiah 41:10
‘For I know the plans that I have for you,’ declares the Lord, ‘plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope.’ - Jeremiah 29:11

“Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy laden, and I will give you rest.  Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart; and YOU SHALL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS.  For My yoke is easy, and My load is light.” -Matthew 11:28-30

“With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.” -Matthew 19:26
"So then, banish anxiety from your heart." --Ecclesiastes 11:10
"Remember my affliction and my wandering, the wormwood and the bitterness.  Surely my soul remembers and is bowed down within me.  This I recall to my mind, therefore I have hope.  The Lord’s lovingkindnesses indeed never cease, for His compassions never fail.  They are new every morning; great is Thy faithfulness.” -Lamentations 3:19-23

And finally, another quote:     {Can you tell I like Corrie ten Boom?}

"When a train enters a tunnel and it’s dark, you don’t throw out the ticket and jump off. You sit still and trust the engineer."~Corrie Ten Boom
What are some of your favorite verses about God's faithfulness?

No comments:

Post a Comment